Lao People’s Democratic Republic
Peace Independence Democracy Unity Prosperity
Requirements for Lao visa
Applicants must provide the following documents to facilitate the processing of their cases:
A passport must have at least six months remaining validity.
1. One completed application form (Click here for application form)
2. Two photos
3. Valid passport
4. Visa processing fee5. passport must have at least six months remaining validity.
5. Documents from competent authorities i.e. Department / Organisation or through the Authorized Tourist Agency, which clearly specify the purpose of visit i.e. Official, Business, Tourist or letter of invitation from friend / relative in Laos for the visit visa.
(If you are traveling as a tourist, you can skip number 5).
Processing fee for visa is SEK 400 : Applications which are submitted without the appropriate fee will not be considered. Please note that feesare non-refundable regardless of the outcome of the application. Payment is only by cash . The Lao Embassy in Sweden does not accept any cheque. Your cash can be sent with your passport by registered post to our Embassy.
How to send your application and receive your passport.
If you apply by mail, together with your application, you must include a self-addressed envelope with stamps on it for returning yours passport back sothat we can return your passport to you after the visa process has been complete. Since your passport is a valuable document, we would strongly recommend that you post it by registered mail,this will ensure that your documents will not be lost. Application should be sent to the Embassy of Laos, Stockholm, two weeks before your departure.
Notification by the Consular Department
on Lao foreigners' entry into and exit from Lao PDR
The Consular Affairs Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs has the honour to inform foreign nationals intending to come to Lao PDR for official contacts, for visiting their relatives, tourism, commercial or other purposes that the Government of the Lao PDR has updated its regulations on entry into and exit from Lao PDR in conformity to the present conditions. In order to facilitate Lao citizens, immigrants and foreign nationals in their border crossings, there are now 13 International Immigration Check Points in Laos, where Lao citizens, immigrants and foreign nationals with their own Passports and an appropriate visa issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or an Embassy or a Consulate General of the Lao PDR overseas are permitted to enter into and exit from Laos or to obtain a visa on their arrival as follows:
1. Wattay International Airport (Visa on arrival) in Vientiane Capital
2. Luang Prabang International Airport (Visa on arrival is applicable) in Luang Prabang City
3. Pakse International Airport (Visa on arrival is applicable) ( In Champasak Province)
4. Mittaphab Bridge, Vientiane Capital Laos (Visa on arrival is applicable) Nongkhai, Thailand
5. Houaixay, Bokeo Province, Laos (Visa on arrival) XiangkongThailand
6. Meuang Mom, Bokeo Province, (No visa on arrival) Vangpung, Myanmar
7. Thakhek, Khammuan Province, Laos (Visa on arrival is applicable) Nakhonphanome, Thailand
8. Savannakhet, Savannakhet Province, Laos (Visa on arrival is applicable) Moukdahan, Thailand
9. Vangtao, Champasak Province, Laos (Visa on arrival) Xongmek, Thailand
10. Namphao, Borikhamxay Province, Laos (Visa on arrival) Caucheo,Vietnam
11. Paksan, Borikhamxay Province, (No visa on arrival)
12. Ban Densavanh, Savannakhet Province, Laos (Visa on arrival) Laobao,Vietnam
13. Naphao,Khammuan Province, Laos (Visa on arrival applicable) Jalor,Vietnam
14. Namkan,Xiengkhouang Province, Laos(Visa on arrival) Namcan,Vietnam
15. Boten, Luang Namtha Province, Laos (Visa on arrival) Bohan,China
16. Panghoke, Phongsaly Province, Laos (Visa on arrival) Tay Trang, Vietnam
17. Namsoi, Huaphan Province, Laos (Visa on arrival) Na Meo, Vietnam
18. Nam Ngeun Xayabury Province, Laos (Visa on arrival) Huai Kone, Nane Province, Thailand
19. Mittaphab Bridge, Xayabury Province, Laos (Visa on arrival) Nam Heuang Leuy Province Thailand
20. Phoukeua, Attapeu Province, Laos (Visa on arrival) Kongtum, Vietnam,
21. Nong Noke Khien, Champasak (No visa on arrival) Traprengkrien, Triengteng Province, Cambodia.
A. Categories of Visas:
• Diplomatic visas (A1) Diplomatic visas are issued to diplomats, consular officers, heads of the United Nations Agencies and other International Organizations, and their dependents (spouse and children) holding diplomatic passports.
• Official visas (A2) Official visas are issued to the Staff members of Diplomatic Missions, Consulates, United Nations Agencies and other International Agencies and their dependents (spouse and children) holding official passports.
• Courtesy visas (B1) Courtesy vias are issued to foreign experts and their dependents holding diplomatic, official and normal passports performing assignments under bilateral cooperation or grant assistance projects for the Government of Lao PDR.
• Business visas (B2) Business visas are issued to foreign experts and their performing assignments under projects provided by loan agreements and as provided by employment contracts or project wards, to experts and volunteers of Non-Governmental Agencies, experts in education and medical sciences generating income for an agency, staff members of Diplomatic Missions, General Consulates, the United Nations Agencies and other international organizations holding normal passports from the countries or from third countries, as well as foreign businesspersons.
• Visit visas (B3) Visit visas are issued to foreign citizens holding normal passports and intending to visit relatives working in the Lao PDR.
B. Visa Status:
• Diplomatic visas (A1) and official visas (A2) are exempted from visa fees. Multiple entry visas may be obtained for a period of one year and may be renewed each year until the assignment’s completion.
• Courtesy visas (B1) are exempted from visas fees. Multiple entry visas may be obtained for a period of six months and may be renewed every six months until the assignment’s completion.
• Business visas (B2) are subject to the payment of mandatory visa and service fees. Multiple entry visas may be obtained for a period of six (6) months and may be renewed every six (6) months until completion of assignments.
• Visit visas (B3) are subject to the payment of visa and service upon each travel in destination to the Lao PDR. B3 category visas does not entitle its holder to work or apply for multiple entry visas.
C. Visa and Identity Card Application Procedures:
• Diplomats, Consuls, Heads of International Agencies and their dependents (spouses and children) holding diplomatic or official passports and whose assignments in the Lao PDR, which performance would exceed thirty (30) days, have been approved, will be required to apply for visas from Embassies or General Consulates of the Lao PDR according to procedures provided under bilateral agreements. Upon their entry to the Lao PDR, the relevant foreign agency shall apply for identity cards and multiple entry visas from the Protocol Department and the Department of Consular Affairs of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs respectively.
• Foreign experts of defferent categories and volunteers, together with their dependents, holding official or normal passports whose assignments in the Lao PDR, which performance would exceed thirty (30) days, have been approved, are required to obtain visas from Embassies or General Consulates of the Lao PDR. Upon their entry, the international organization or Lao line agency concerned shall apply for identity cards and multiple entry visas from the relevant departments.
• Diplomats, staff members of Consulates and International Agencies, foreign experts and volunteers entering the Lao PDR under visit visas (B3) without going through the requisite procedures will not benefit from facilities in performing their assignments. In order to perform their assignments, they will be required to leave the territory of the Lao PDR for the purpose of obtaining the required visa categories from Embassies or General Consulates of the Lao PDR before re- entering the country.
• Diplomats, staff members of Consulates and International Agencies, foreign experts and volunteers based abroad and whose assignments, which performance would require a timeframe not exceeding thirty (30) days, have been approved, may obtain a fifteen (15) day visa upon arrival to Wattay International Airport of the Friendship Bridge in Vientiane Municipality, as well as at the Luang Prabang International Airport.
• Diplomats, consular officers, staff members of the International Agencies, foreign experts and volunteers performing assignments in the Lao PDR for a period not exceeding thirty (30) days. Such period of time may be extended twice under B3 visas.
• Diplomatic missions, General Consulates, International Agencies and non-governmental organizations to the Lao PDR will not be authorized to recruit foreign experts or volunteers who have completed their assignments under a project and seeking further employment under other projects at will without due process in line with the procedures or regulations outlined by the Lao authorities.
• All applicants wishing to travel to the Lao PDR on the above mentioned purposes can obtain a visa in advance of your arrival.
For more information, please contact the Lao Embassy from 9:00-12:00/13:00-15:30,
LAOS CROSS BORDER
Overland: The country can be entered or exited overland at the following immigration checkpoints, which are open daily from 08.30 AM to 05.00 PM:
* Friendship Bridge from / to Nongkhai (Thailand) crossing Mekong River by shuttle bus (from 06.00 AM to 10.00 PM)
* Houei Xay by crossing Mekong River by ferry from / to Chiangkhong (Thailand) (from 08.00 AM to 06.00 PM)
* Thakek from / to Nakhon Phanom (Thailand) by ferry
* Vangtao from / to Chongmek and Ubon Ratchatani (Thailand)
* Savannakhet from / to Mukdahan (Thailand), actually by ferry. At the end of 2006, the bridge crossing Mekong river will be completely finished
* SobHoune (Laos) / Tay Trang (Dienbien Phu, Vietnam
* Nameo (Sam Neua) / PaHang (QuanSon, Thanh Hoa) on route N0 6
* Nonghet (Xiengkhouang Province)/ Nam Kan (Kyson, Nghean ,Vietnam)
* Denesavanh (Xavanakhet) / Lao Bao (Quangtri, Vietnam)
* Namphao (Borikhamxay province)/ Lak Sao (Hatinh, Vietnam)
* Tong Kham (Thakek ) Chalo (Quangbinh, route N0 12, which link Thakek to Vinh or Dong Hoi (Vietnam)
* Attapeu/Kontum (Bo-Y border)
* Veunkham from / to Stung Treng (Cambodia) by boat
* Boten, Luang Namtha province, from / to Bohan and Mengla (Yunnan, China)
PASSPORT AND VISAS
Visas are required by all nationalities (subject to exceptions for local neighboring people and ASEAN countries )
Visas can be obtained either from Lao Embassies and Consulates abroad or upon arrival at following immigration checkpoints:
* Vientiane, Luang Prabang and Pakse airports
* Friendship Bridge in Vientiane (opposite Nongkhai, Thailand)
* Houei Xay (opposite Chiangkhong, Thailand)
* Boten, Luang Namtha province (opposite Bohan, Yunnan, China)
* Nonghet, Xiengkhouang Province (opposite Nam Kan, Vietnam).
* Savannakhet (opposite Mukdahan, Thailand)
* Denesavanh (opposite Lao Bao, Vietnam)
* Vangtao (opposite Chongmek, Thailand)
* Namphao, Borikhamxay Province (opposite of Lak Sao, Vietnam)
* Thakek (opposite Nakhon Phanom, Thailand)
Important note: Travelers arriving from Cambodia overland at Veunkham immigration checkpoint must have their Lao visa arranged and stamped prior to arrival at the Laotian border.
The visa fee is US$ 30 per person, 2 passport photos are required for each visa application.